Monday 8 August 2011

DSDN 142 - Creative Coding.

Today in the tutorial we (students) had the task to explore and research about interactions. I went to OpenProcessing.org and firstly focused on trying to understand the difference between interaction and control.

Here are some examples of my research:





These first two applications are mainly control. However, they did trick me for a moment. The reason is because even though is little, there still is a little bit of interaction. On the first one it is about dragging the mouse and painting specific spaces. The reason it is not really interaction is because there is no abstractness, randomness nor an unexpected happening. There is a set out structure for you to paint on and once you do, it gets boring. The second application is not interaction for the same reason. You do have to tell the computer to move the fire around, however, it corresponds to your orders exactly the way you would expect to. Thus, it gets boring quite easily.



This application is quite an interesting interaction. It got me playing with it for a little while in class and as I opened the application again a few minutes ago, I cought myself playing with it for a little while again.



Out of the interactive applications I researched, this was my favorite. Even though you have absolute power over the way the lines move, it always happens differently and can be changed quite easily. There are also options of modifying a few properties of the design and making it look different. I will use some of this coding on my own project if I don't find it extremely hard.





These are two other applications that I enjoyed interacting with and will use as inspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment